Sunday, February 4, 2018

Downtown Willow Glen

We moved to San Jose in 2007 from San Francisco. It is hard to believe that we have lived here almost 11 years now. We started out living in the lovely neighborhood of Willow Glen. It was great being so close to the cute down town area where we could walk or ride our bikes over to Lincoln Avenue for breakfast or dinner etc... Even though I don't live in Willow Glen anymore I still hang out there quite often as if I was still living there. The downtown has changed a lot since we moved. It has become a lot more upscale with nicer restaurants and shops. 

When I started blogging a couple of years ago my favorite spot was at the Top Nosh Cafe. I was sad that it did not last long and has now seen two more cafes open and close in its place. I loved hanging out there since it had so much natural lighting and an real urban feeling. The current cafe here is called the "Purple Onion" which also has a location in Los Gatos. I started coming here last week to work on my blog. The space is just as I remembered it and the food is excellent! I enjoyed a yummy spinach quiche, which comes with a really nice mixed greens salad served on a cool industrial rustic tray. I decided that this will be my new (old) official blogging spot. 



After some hard work writing I walked up the street to the store "Magpie". I have always been inspired by this little shop which has a very shabby chic feel to it. I browsed around the store a bit and enjoyed looking at their decorative and party items. They have really cute birthday candles and numbered cake toppers that add an extra touch to a party. 


I was also drawn to their vintage style dessert and Paris themed items, which would be great for birthday parties. One of my best sellers on Etsy has been my Paris Party invitations. I would like to design more to go with those invitations such as cupcake toppers, banners, and favor bags and sell them as a whole package. The store also offers crafting workshops which sound fun! 




After Magpie I headed across the street over to the cute boutique "Ibiss".  I have always enjoyed looking around in the store. They have super cute and stylish clothing, accessories, gift, and stationery items. When I walked in the girls working there were super friendly. I told them that I was working on a blog and asked to take photos. They showed a lot of interest in what I was doing so that made me feel great. The store is merchandised and displayed by color, which I love. The had fun stuff for Valentines Day along with some neat San Francisco themed items.  I definitely left my heart in San Francisco and still like to consider it my hometown. The staff at Ibiss told me they sometimes have a pop up shop in San Francisco so I'd love to catch that on one of my excursions back "home".  I left there inspired and ready to start shopping for Spring!



To end my day on a sweet note I crossed back over the street to one of my and my son's favorite cake places "Susie Cakes". I love the retro feeling you get when you walk in the doors. I like the combo of the mint green color with the reds, very 1950's. This bakery was inspired by a girl's love of baking with her grandmother just like I did as a child. All of the baked items have a very homemade taste to them. The cakes are super delicious and really moist. They have fabulous cookies, whoopie pies, and cakes and cupcakes. Right now they have a fun Barbie cake on display with two-tone white and pink frosting, so cute! This cake reminds me of my childhood in the 70's and 80's. I was so into Barbie. A vintage Barbie party package was one of my best sellers on my Etsy shop a couple of years ago, which included invitations, cake, toppers, flag banner, and favor cards. Barbie is still going strong. The bakery is also all set for Valentines Day. My shop also sells Valentines Cupcake Party Invitations which were one of the first invitations that I sold on my shop. I love to bake heart cookies with my son on Valentines day. I just love this time of year, so much fun!





Along with all of their fabulous treats they have great party items. Candles, cake toppers, plates an napkins with fun quotes. On display they have fun numbered candles for cakes and cupcakes, along with simple candles. Every year I get my son a number for the age that he is turning. We put it on his pancake in the morning of his birthday and on his cake for that evening. It is a fun tradition. I was really attracted to the pastel color palette of their simple candles. Pastel is really hot this season! This was yet another great adventure day in a local downtown area in the Silicon Valley. 





No comments:

Post a Comment