Monday, June 25, 2018

Little Italy - San Jose

Recently my son did a report on Italy for his class. I had fun teaching him about one of my favorite countries and reminiscing about my past Italy trips while looking at photo albums with him. Since I won't be going back there anytime soon I decided to get a little piece of Italy again in my own backyard in San Jose's Little Italy. Many times on the way to the 87 freeway entrance on Julian St. I have passed the sign for Little Italy and wondered what it was all about. 

"Nestled among San Jose's multi-faceted cultural pockets the block of West Julian Street and West St. John Street, you'll find an example of its rich history in Little Italy. Little Italy was the first Italian immigrant neighborhood in San Jose, as one of three, and now stands as the last. Though Little Italy is only a few blocks long you will find no shortage of delicious food and Italian pride. The neighborhood is crowded by iconic 31 ft Little Italy sign". 


Paesano Ristorante Italianio on W. Julian St. is known for it's classic Italian fare. It is located right next to the Little Italy sign.  I am looking forward to checking this place out for a date night.


Bel Bacio Imported Italian Coffee is the perfect place for breakfast, afternoon coffee, or a place to stroll to for an after dinner treat. Bel Bacio has been located in Little Italy for 5 1/2 years. 8 months ago Gary and Judy Sunseri took over the little Italian cafe which serves authentic Italian food including Italian coffee, pastries, cookies, gelato, panini's, lasagna, and calzones. 







Bel Bacio has a cozy atmosphere inside and outside. There are several rooms where you can enjoy their delicious treats or work on your lap top. You can also enjoy the beautiful patio or quaint porch. The cafe was originally a house that was moved from River Street after flooding. After having a nice conversation with Gary and Judy about the history of Little Italy and their cafe I went outside with my delicious chocolate-dipped almond biscotti and unique Italian Chocolate Drizzle Cookie. The whole experience at this cafe was delightful. This place is a hidden gem!



After enjoying my coffee and treats Judy showed me behind the cafe where there is a patio area called the "Piazza" which can be used by the public for parties. It was so cute and really neat that there is this wonderful outdoor space that can be used by the community.  Little Italy really seems to be a community driven neighborhood. 



Henry's World Famous Hi-Life BBQ is a long time staple in Little Italy on the corner of W. Julian St. and St. John St. It was originally the site of the Torino Hotel 60 years ago where Italian immigrant workers lived while working in the fields. Now it serves as Little Italy's spot for superb BBQ. I definitely need to come back to this place since my husband loves good BBQ. 




Enoteca La Storia is a Classic Italian wine shop, restaurant, and soccer lounge on St John St. in Little Italy. "This place is a gathering spot for sharing and savoring fine wines, craft beers, and the company of friends and family". I really enjoyed being shown the space which is rich in history. The building used to actually be a bread baking company. When renovating the space they found old bread boards in the rafters. Enoteca La Storia was founded by long time friends Joe Cannistraci and Michael Guerra. They both had a vision of creating a relaxing and inviting environment for people to enjoy fine wine, traditional Italian food and lively conversation. I spoke to the manager and arranged with her to have my San Jose scavenger hunt "EAT SHOP AND GATHER" on Saturday August 25th. The event will end here with a gathering to chat about the scavenger hunt over food and wine. 










Here's to another exciting and education blog day in my own backyard of San Jose. This day inspired me to do my event on this historic side of town starting in Japantown, then over to the Rose Garden, and finishing up in Little Italy. See you on August 25th for a day to EAT, SHOP, and GATHER in historic San Jose! 


































No comments:

Post a Comment