Friday, May 6, 2016

Filoli Gardens

A week ago we drove to Filoli Gardens in Woodside for a family day. I have heard great things about the gardens and every time I drive by and see the sign off the 280 I think to my self "we need to go to this place". The gardens are a bit off the freeway below the foothills down a dirt road that leads to the country estate. When we arrived it felt like we weren't even in the bay area anymore. First when you go inside to pay there is a gallery of botanical paintings, which I love. From there we headed out to explore the gardens. On the way to the gardens they had a cute area where you can purchase plants, garden sculptures, and fountains. It was a nice serene outdoor space. Following the plant area are the lily ponds.  They are picture perfect.


After we walked through the lily pond area we headed to the colorful rose garden and explored. There were so many different varieties. Near the rose garden is a kitchen garden and a beautiful hedge maze. My son loved walking around both areas in search of the various scents, colors, and shapes in the treasure map provided to him at the Visitor and Education center. There is so much variety on display! We sat on a bench and soaked it all in.  As I sketched and wrote in my journal I soaked in the beautiful spring day.  There was a cool breeze and the fragrance of sweet roses in the air.  I could hear the sounds of birds and nature surrounding us. 


We then moved on from the rose garden area and wandered around some more while we played Follow the Leader with my son. I came across this enchanting wrought iron archway leading to long pathways of beautiful hedges. It made me feel like I was in an English Garden or Wonderland. This whole place makes you feel like you have been transformed into a beautiful scenic painting.  I just loved it! 

On our journey around the gardens we came across a sun dial, strolled along a large swimming pool, and walked through the historic estate house.  For lunch we went to the cafe which has both indoor and outdoor seating.  The food was decent for the price.  It was so relaxing after visiting the gardens. While we are eating a peacock showed up.  It was a fun and nice surprise to our day.  It was beautiful standing there with all of it's vivid colors.  Filoli was such a memorable day and an adventure I highly recommend!



No comments:

Post a Comment