Monday, April 2, 2018

Spring In Saratoga

Spring has now sprung in Saratoga and just before our Spring Break. Last week I went to one of my favorite places in the Bay Area, Hakone Gardens, in hopes that the cherry blossoms (Sakura) were finally in bloom. When I drove up the steep windy road to the main entrance I was greeted by the beautiful bursts of cherry blossom trees leading me along the way. I felt so excited and giddy that they had finally bloomed. 


In 1915, San Francisco philanthropists Oliver and Isabel Stine attended the Panama-Pacific Exposition which was held in San Francisco. After visiting the Japan Pavilion Isabel fell in love with Japan and it's culture, and was inspired to build her own private Japanese estate and garden. In May 1915 the Stine's purchased 15 acres of land nestled in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains in the quiet town of Saratoga so that they could build their dream project. In pursuit of her dream Isabel acquired several pieces of Japan Pavilion at the conclusion of the Pan-Pacific Expo: the tea house, roofed gate, dwarf pine, maple trees, and ornamental shrubbery which she would use in the construction of her own Japanese estate garden in Saratoga.  In 2014 the Sakura trees lining the main driveway were donated by local Hakone supporter Paul Nakamoto. 


We have been members now of Hakone Gardens for a few years. It is so nice to be able to come here anytime and also be invited to their events. The last event we went to was the Chinese New Year celebration which was a lot of fun, especially seeing the dancing dragons. Since the Sakura are only in bloom for a short time they are offering free to members a night viewing of the Cherry Blossoms. I went to check it out during the day this week to take photos and get inspiration. I walked around the whole garden and took a ton of photos of the lovely pink blossoms bursting everywhere. I have always loved coming to visit these gardens but this is just spectacular to see. 




I sat under the Wisteria Arbor as I was writing and sketching ideas I felt a very tranquil and Zen feeling while listening to the birds and the waterfall in the background.  I needed a day of mindfulness and appreciation of how lucky I am to have such a spectacular place to visit so close to home. The colors all around inspired me. 



Hakone Gardens is a place full of beauty that is rich with culture. Here are more highlights of the garden's features and points of special interest surrounded by Sakura blossoms. 

Kasuga Lantern 
A pedestal style lantern traditionally used as a "guardian" lantern frequently seen at entrances to gardens. 

Cultural Exchange Center 
Built in 1991, the design is of a traditional Tea Merchant's house and shop. The building was built in Japan, disassembled, shipped to Saratoga and reassembled. 

Lower House
Added in 1922 to serve as the family's summer retreat. There were three bedrooms, a bathroom, and a fireplace. 

Koi Pond
The major feature of a Hill and Pond style garden which was the most popular style in the 17th century. 

 Water Fall 

 View Of The Estate  From Above

After enjoying the gardens I popped into the gift shop to look around. There were many pieces of Japanese merchandise with the beautiful pink Sakura blossoms. Recently I added a Sushi Party invitation to my Etsy Shop inspired by Cherry Blossoms and my favorite thing to eat, sushi. 






When my son and I have a day at Hakone Gardens we end the day at our favorite Japanese restaurant in the area "Masu Sushi Japanese Bistro" in the Saratoga Village. This was a perfect place to go to lunch on such a beautiful warm spring day. I drove down the hill, said good by to the blooms on my way out and ventured off to have my favorite meal for lunch. It was so nice to sit outside and enjoy the lovely patio. I ordered my all time favorite sashimi tuna for lunch. When I sat down to order they even had a menu with cherry blossoms on it! It was a wonderful end to another blogging adventure day in the Bay Area and a great start to Spring Break. 











No comments:

Post a Comment